If you have participated in training with me, there is no doubt you've heard me discuss nutrition. As much as we want to believe that if we workout we can look exactly how we want, this is rarely true for most. Below is a 6 week clean-eating ladder with each week building upon the next.
I know there are those few people who can jump in cold turkey and eat super clean and not think twice about it; however, for the ones of us who need structure and a step-by-step process to change our eating habits, I think balance and small changes over time lead to tremendous success. Knowledge about nutrition is great, but if you have no clue how to implement that knowledge you are spinning a vicious cycle.
- Week 1: protein packed breakfast with veggies, carbs, and fat. Drink a minimum of 1 gallon of water daily.
- Week 2: same as week 1 + protein packed mid-afternoon snack.
- Week 3: same as week 1 & week 2, + 3 salads per week at lunch or dinner. Salad includes lots of kale, spinach, berries, beets, olives, avocado, chicken/beef/fish, artichokes, mushrooms, olive oil & vinegar as dressing, etc. No cheese on salad.
- Week 4: same as week 1, week 2, week 3 + max of 1 dessert a week
- Week 5: same as week 1, week 2, week 3, week 4 + 3 dinners per week full of protein, vegetables/carbs, and fat. No bread, pasta at these 3 dinners.
- Week 6: same as week 1, week 2, week 3, week 4, week 5 + 5 salads per week at lunch or dinner & 5 dinners per week full of protein, vegetables/carbs, and fat. No bread, pasta at these 5 dinners.
- Week 7 and on: Maintenance. Apply the guidelines from week 6 and challenge yourself to go an entire 6 days of eating clean for all meals.
- If you are ready to up the ante, contact me fo nutrition coaching, 1-on-1, online, or group personal training. Share your successes in the comments section below. No excuses.