If you are anything like me, you enjoy tailgating as much as you love football. This time of year is one of my favs! Consistent weekend plans dictated by what football game is showing and where; friends coming to visit to partake in tailgate festivities; reuniting with old college buddies. It is all so fun!
However, with all the entertainment comes endless opportunities to let nutrition and fitness fall by the wayside. I am here to show you that you can have your “cake and eat it too.” Below are SHOWtips that will keep you on track during football season all while enjoying life to the fullest.
- Have healthy snacks on hand always! I love to bring RxBars or Thunderbird bars and maybe some fruit. This way I am not caught in a bind when I get hungry, and there is nothing good to eat in sight.
- Eat a nutritious, hearty breakfast packed full of protein. This helps with keeping your body satisfied and preventing you from reaching for the dozen cookies and chips & queso at the tailgate.
- If it works for your schedule, get in a quick 30-60 minute workout the day of to rev up your metabolism. If you live in Austin, then join me next Saturday, 9/9, at 9am for Crush, Fuel, Play!
- Bring healthy mixers to the tailgate. I keep it simple and drink Deep Eddy Ruby Red or Lemon and simply mix with water and ice. However, if you need some carbonation then use club soda, Fresca, or La Croix and limit all the beer.
- Walk! I know there are endless ride shares and pedi-cabs floating around but take advantage of using your own two feet and getting in those 10,000+ steps when shimmying from one tailgate to the next.
- Dance! Football season and tailgating calls for having fun. Get out there and dance the day and night away.
Are there any other things you do to stay on point during football season?