“Heal the gut and you heal yourself.” – Gerard E. Mullin, MD
Gut health is all the rage now and for very good reason. If the gastrointestinal tract is out of whack, then a host of other problems start to arise. I experienced this first hand about 5 years ago when my PCOS went haywire. My skin broke out, I was absorbing none of my nutrients (simply look in the toilet and you will know if this is happening to you), I lost my menstrual cycle completely, and I was gaining weight. The first order of business we took care of was my gut health. Who knew that healing the gut could literally help so many other areas in my body start to function properly?!?
Below is what I do on a daily basis to make sure my gut lining is working at it's best, and I'm feeling fabulous every day!
- 1TB Braggs Apple Cider vinegar in 6oz of warm water, 1/4 tsp pink sea salt, pinch of cayenne pepper, and 2 drops of dōTERRA Lemon essential oil- I drink this 1st thing in the morning.
- Probiotic: I take 1 daily with breakfast. Currently, I am taking Primal Probiotics, but I also switch it up with hyperbiotics Pro15.
- Betaine HCL & Pepsin: This right here is the game-changer. I take 2 capsules at every meal, and 1 capsule with snacks.
- WHY???? Betaine HCL increases the level of hydrochloric acid in the stomach necessary for proper digestion and assimilation of nutrients from food. Normal levels of hydrochloric acid are required for complete digestion of proteins and absorption of amino acids. It’s also required for the extraction of vitamin B12 from our food. Betaine HCL helps to restore the proper acid levels in the stomach and maintain healthy GI function.
- Sauerkraut: I eat around a 1/2 cup daily to get in my good probiotics via a food source. Make sure the one you buy does NOT have vinegar added to it as this messes with the fermentation process.
If you are someone who has constant bloating and gas after eating, that is not normal. I encourage you to start healing your body from the inside, out, and that starts with the gut. Give this a try and see how it works for you. It takes time to heal so be patience. This is not a quick fix and is also one you will be on for the rest of your life. The only difference is you can titrate the dose down on the Betaine HCL & Pepsin over time as your gut heals. I am here to answer any and all questions you may have to help get that gut back in check!